Pages

Thursday 9 March 2017

Henry William Script

Henry William

Hi my name is Henry William (a missionary I was born on the 11th of February 1792. The reason why I had moved to NZ was because I was ordained a priest 'for the cure of souls in his majesty's foreign possessions' in 1822. I was given the treaty on the evening of the 4th of Feb. The treaty needed to be translated into Maori for the chiefs the next day

I knew the Maori language well, but I really wanted Maori to sign the treaty. I thought it would be best for Maori. Some of the challenges is that I wasn't allowed to translate it in dept to Maori, I didn't have enough time to translate the treaty of Waitangi, no Maori were allowed to be consulted on the wording and I had to use Maori words that made it sound really inspiring for Maori.



1 comments:

Amy Tofa said...

I quite enjoyed your speech Alfred because you have brought up some very important insights about Henry William's role in translating the treaty and the lack of involvement the Maori had in the making of the treaty. Do you know if Henry Williams passed away in New Zealand or did he go back to England in his later years?

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.